Vncviewer problem with RedHat 5.0(i386)

Derek R. Pizzagoni drp "at" interlink.com
Thu, 05 Mar 1998 08:35:00 +0000

--------------C1A1D82E4CD8B845A8E7EB7C

I found that I am successfully able to connect to a Solaris vncserver.

The only difference I found was that the Solaris server was coming back
with 8 bits per pixel, and the Windows NT vncserver (the one I can't
connect to from Linux) was coming back with 16 bits per pixel.

If this is the problem, how can I tell my Windows NT vncserver to run at
8 bpp?  (I've tried setting it to 16 colors in the display control
panel, but the lowest it goes is 256).

Other than that, is there a way to run vncviewer on a machine that is
set at 8bpp, and view a vncserver that is set at 16bpp?

--
Derek R. Pizzagoni
Unix Network Administrator/D.B.A.