Hebrew and VNC

Wed, 04 Mar 1998 10:07:40 +0000

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Yannai A. Gonczarowski wrote:

> When I pressed Alt+Shift to switch to hebrew-writing mode (It
> switched modes!), and tried to write in hebrew, nothing happened. The
> only characters that were displayed were the ones existing in english
> (pressing the ENGLISH key for semicolon produced a semicolon instead
> of a hebrew character, and the HEBREW key for semicolon produced the
> ENGLISH signal on it, and not semicolon).
> I think this has to do with keyboard mapping.
> Any Ideas?

Yes.  The keyboard mapping is handled at the client end.  This is to cope
with the fact that the server actually has no idea what keyboard is
attached to the machine you're viewing from, or even if there's a keyboard
at all.  So in theory, changing the keyboard at the viewer end should
work.  In practice, it might not though, since mapping X keysyms to
Windows keycodes isn't entirely straightforward.

Cheers,

James "Wez" Weatherall
Tel : Work - 343000