vncviewer on Mono server segaults (solaris)

Ian Peake peaki "at" csee.uq.edu.au
Wed, 04 Mar 1998 02:20:23 +0000

I am really impressed with VNC and would use it more,
except that I can't get it working from my desk at work!

I tried running vncserver on a solaris box (sunos 5.5 = solaris 2.5?).

Using vncviewer I've been able to connect to
the server from home under Linux, and a colour sun box running
X11R5 at Work, but can't get it working in my desktop machine --
an old Sun box running a monochrome X11R5 server.

When I connect to the server vncviewer invariably crashes.
More specifically, I successfully enter a password, the window comes up,
then immediately goes away again.
The behaviour is slightly different depending on whether the viewer
is on the same machine or a different one.
See annotated output below.

When I try to connect to it using Netscape 3.03/Java for Solaris,
I can send mouse events (focus on and move window, bring up menu),
but not keyboard events.  (Are they being sent to one of
the buttons in the VNC command bar??  Sometimes when I press
space I get the VNC options menu!)
I get the same behaviour using JDK 1.1.5.

Ian

--

(different machine):

vncviewer: VNC server supports protocol version 3.3 (viewer 3.3)
Password:
vncviewer: VNC authentication succeeded
vncviewer: Desktop name "peaki's X desktop (gigantic:1)"
vncviewer: Connected to VNC server, using protocol version 3.3
vncviewer: VNC server default format:
8 bits per pixel.
True colour: max red 7 green 7 blue 3
            shift red 0 green 3 blue 6
Using default colormap and translating to BGR233
Creating window depth 1, visualid 0x20 colormap 0x21
[Window comes up, draws, mouse around momentarily, then..]
Segmentation Fault(coredump)

--

(same machine):

vncviewer: VNC authentication succeeded
vncviewer: Desktop name "peaki's X desktop (gigantic:1)"
vncviewer: Connected to VNC server, using protocol version 3.3
vncviewer: VNC server default format:
8 bits per pixel.
True colour: max red 7 green 7 blue 3
            shift red 0 green 3 blue 6
Using default colormap and translating to BGR233
Creating window depth 1, visualid 0x20 colormap 0x21
[Window comes up, nothing drawn, disappears..]
XIO:  fatal IO error 14 (Bad address) on X server "tulip:0.0"
      after 317 requests (303 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

--

Ian Peake                                      Phone:     + 61 7 3365 2097
Centre for Software Maintenance                FAX:       + 61 7 3365 1428