success on HPs

Duane Healing duane "at" ran.rose.hp.com
Tue, 03 Mar 1998 19:23:05 +0000

I am glad to see that Karl got the server compiled on HP-UX 10.20.
I'll have to try it.

My thought however is that these compilation problems stem from
imake rules issues.  My experience with imake is mostly painful and
I'm wondering if anyone has considered scrapping its use altogether
and using autoconf to configure the Makefiles for a given platform.
It is my experience with autoconf that it nearly always figures out
everything it needs to know, can do contingencies if you don't have a
function it's looking for, and generally will end up knowing more
about your system that you do.  (Ever compiled perl?, It's pretty
stunning to watch.)

Just a thought.  I think it would make things easier for everyone.

-Duane Healing                              ESSD/SIL Tape Systems-
-Hewlett-Packard                                    Roseville, CA-
-duane "at" core.rose.hp.com                              916.785.1660-
-                I don't speak for HP, YMMV, RTFM, ...           -