Strange screen saver problem

Tue, 03 Mar 1998 14:45:14 +0000

On Tue, 3 Mar 1998, Brian Knotts wrote:

[regarding use of lock/unlock or winlogon over VNC]
> I assume it would need to become an NT service for this to be possible, then?

I believe that this would be necessary to get the right priveliges to
access the other desktops, yes.  Turning WinVNC into a service isn't
actually difficult but getting the service to handle the different
desktops properly could prove tricky.

> Currently, I've resorted to running the machine headless with no screen saver/
> lockup. But that's a little risky. It's nice to be able to have the
> machine inaccessible from the console.

That's true.  ORL has an environment where leaving yourself logged in
tends not to be a problem, since typically anyone who might have sensitive
information on their display has their own office anyway.

We're looking into turning WinVNC into a display driver, which could
potentially solve these sorts of problem.  But don't hold your breath!

Cheers,

James "Wez" Weatherall
Tel : Work - 343000