keyboard trouble

Martin C. Mueller mcm "at"
Tue, 03 Mar 1998 13:15:36 +0000

> Date:          Tue, 3 Mar 1998 12:09:11 +0100
> From:          Michael Rohleder <mike "at">
> To:            vnc-list "at"
> Subject:       keyboard trouble

> I started vncserver on a german NT or 95 machine.
> The viewer runs on a US linux system.
> The problem is the keyboard layout. Some keys are received as german
> on the NT box, some not. The layout of that keys are neither german
> nor us.
> I could not manage to type in some keys, ~ or \ for example.
> Any hints or tips?

I have the same problem with the server on Linux and the viewer on
NT. What troubles me most is, that xmodmap doesn't do any good - e.g.
the backslash, keycode 89, gets mapped to ssharp and if I assign
anothe mapping, the backslash gets mapped to keycode 90. Furthermore,
if I assign a third modification to keycode 89, the whole keymap gets
garbled and I have to kill the server. Does anybody know I install
the US keyboard layout (00000409) as loadable onto a german NT

Thank you very much,

Martin C. Mueller           |              Institut fuer
Mail: mcm "at"    |  Techno- und WirtschaftsMATHEMATIK e.V.
Tel.: 0631/205-4472         |        Abteilung Prof. Dr. Hamacher
Fax.: 0631/205-4139         |
Post: Erwin-Schroedinger-Strasse, D-67663 Kaiserslautern