read failed

Quentin Stafford-Fraser quentin "at"
Tue, 03 Mar 1998 10:46:53 +0000

>Every time I start a second vncviewer for a particular
>desktop, I get the previously started viewer
>end with a 'read failed' error message.

The standard behaviour for all VNC servers is to close any current viewers
when a new connection comes in.  This is partly for security - you're less
likely to leave connections to your desktop lying around.

However, all of the viewers can be made to request a 'shared' connection,
meaning that existing connections will not be closed.  You can do this by
specifying -shared on the command line (of the Unix & Windows viewers) or by
selecting an option in the Options.. box before connecting (Windows and Java

>Does anyone else have this problem, or have I missed something here.

Just the documentation :-)

Dr Quentin Stafford-Fraser
The Olivetti & Oracle Research Lab