Java viewers on Macs and W3.1

Tue, 03 Mar 1998 10:18:00 +0000

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, dave w capella wrote:

> I share desktops between my Linux, 95 and NT boxes, but
> as yet, can't get my Quadra 840 MacOS8 into the act.
> I've tried NS 3 & 4 (I'm not willing to install IE, either.)
> If anyone has any luck w/w3.1 or Macs (like, has anyone tried
> running the java applet in a runtime environment?), I'd like
> to hear about it.

I have used VNC remotely using the Mac OS Java Runtime's applet runner.
The classes downloaded and the desktops ran perfectly, both Unix world and
PC ones.  On the same PowerMac, netscape 4 would crash if connected to a
VNC session using Java, so I suspect the problem is a Java VM-related one
rather than a bug in the applet.

In short, it all appears to work with the dedicated Mac OS Java Runtime.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

James "Wez" Weatherall
Tel : Work - 343000