Problems compiling on Linux Alpha (RedHat 5.0)

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij "at" caiw.nl
Mon, 02 Mar 1998 20:28:38 +0000

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, Tristan Richardson wrote:

> > > I tried to compile VNC on my Alpha system with Linux but found there is
> > > something broken in the sources which does not break down on the Intel
> > > machines.
> > > I am just wondering why the Alpha uses -DPSZ=8 and the Intel machines
> > > -DPSZ=32
> >
> > Taken this a bit further it seems the Imakefile does read the pixelsize
> > variable from some file and uses that. But I don't have a clue where it is
> > set but it seems to be a standard variable within the X11 development
> > stuff.
>
> When the X server builds it compiles the same code ("cfb") 3 times, once
> each for 8, 16 and 32 bit pixels.  It looks like the Alpha build is failing on
> the first stage with PSZ=8, though I've no idea why.

Anyway I can make a full trace of the compilation? SO I could share it to
anyone who might want it to look at it and see where things break down.

My usual make capture stuff is not particular helpfull. It shows where it
breaks and the error message but not how it runs over a file during
compilation.

> > Furthermore I like to mention that VNC is not clean as I have seen several
> > warning indication unclean code (it may work on 32 bit systems and will
> > propably die on 64 bit systems).
> >
> > I assume that cleaning up the current code to be 64 bit clean is something
> > that needs to be done.
>
> Most of the code in Xvnc is standard X server code.  It all builds perfectly
> for Digital Unix 3.2 on the Alpha, so it ought to be 64-bit clean.

It isn't! There are plenty of messages telling the integers are used as
pointers without a cast. If needed I can mail you the logfile (about
200kB to 250kB).

Hugo.

	| Hugo van der Kooij     | Hugo.van.der.Kooij "at" caiw.nl   |
	| 3155 VJ  Maasland      | (De man met de rode hoed)    |
		(Mitch Radcliffe)