stopping a Xvnc on linux

Karl Hakimian hakimian "at" aha.com
Mon, 02 Mar 1998 15:32:29 +0000

On Sun, Mar 01, 1998 at 11:55:36AM +0000, Richard Piper wrote:
> I could not find how to do kill the server on a linux system. If you
> kill the
> Xvnc process, it is still not possible to restart the server on the same
> display. I suspect there is some lock file hanging around?
>
> Hope I didnt miss some thing obvious in the instructions :-)

kill pid

where pid is the process id of the vnc server, allows me to restart the
server just fine. I have noticed that many people kill processes with

kill -9 pid

While this certainly will kill a processes, it's a bit harsh. A good
habit to get into is to use

kill -HUP pid

or just

kill pid

(which is the same as kill -15)

instead of starting with -9. This gives the process a chance to clean up
before dying.

--
Karl Hakimian
hakimian "at" aha.com