B&W displays

Kenneth Albanowski kjahds "at" kjahds.com
Sun, 01 Mar 1998 23:08:00 +0000

On Sun, 1 Mar 1998, Quentin Stafford-Fraser wrote:

> >> How much does it reduce network load?
> >
> >None at all unless you run vncviewer on another host which is remote
> >to your B&W X Terminal.
>

> Chris is quite right.  We've always assumed a whole number of bytes per
> pixel, because it makes all the packing and unpacking so much easier.  Also,
> the average desktop has a relatively small amount of data sent raw, and the
> hextile encoding is fairly efficient about not sending the colour
> information too often, so it would make less difference than you might
> think.
>
> Still, we have considered tighter packing in the past, particularly with
> PDAs in mind.  It's on the list, but rather low down it.. :-)

Yes, I'm afraid I'm not thinking about efficiency (although that doesn't
hurt), but rather about VNC supporting clients that simply don't have
color displays, perhaps not even greyscale.

--
Kenneth Albanowski (kjahds "at" kjahds.com, CIS: 70705,126)