B&W displays

Kenneth Albanowski kjahds "at" kjahds.com
Sun, 01 Mar 1998 23:08:00 +0000

On Sun, 1 Mar 1998, Quentin Stafford-Fraser wrote:

> >> How much does it reduce network load?
> >
> >None at all unless you run vncviewer on another host which is remote
> >to your B&W X Terminal.
> Chris is quite right.  We've always assumed a whole number of bytes per
> pixel, because it makes all the packing and unpacking so much easier.  Also,
> the average desktop has a relatively small amount of data sent raw, and the
> hextile encoding is fairly efficient about not sending the colour
> information too often, so it would make less difference than you might
> think.
> Still, we have considered tighter packing in the past, particularly with
> PDAs in mind.  It's on the list, but rather low down it.. :-)

Yes, I'm afraid I'm not thinking about efficiency (although that doesn't
hurt), but rather about VNC supporting clients that simply don't have
color displays, perhaps not even greyscale.

Kenneth Albanowski (kjahds "at" kjahds.com, CIS: 70705,126)