B&W displays

Quentin Stafford-Fraser quentin "at" orl.co.uk
Sun, 01 Mar 1998 22:29:24 +0000

>> How much does it reduce network load?
>
>None at all unless you run vncviewer on another host which is remote
>to your B&W X Terminal.

Chris is quite right.  We've always assumed a whole number of bytes per
pixel, because it makes all the packing and unpacking so much easier.  Also,
the average desktop has a relatively small amount of data sent raw, and the
hextile encoding is fairly efficient about not sending the colour
information too often, so it would make less difference than you might
think.

Still, we have considered tighter packing in the past, particularly with
PDAs in mind.  It's on the list, but rather low down it.. :-)

Quentin.