can'1 start

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij "at" caiw.nl
Sun, 01 Mar 1998 18:22:04 +0000

On Sun, 1 Mar 1998, joerg hanke wrote:

> Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
> > On Sat, 28 Feb 1998, Steven Filling wrote:
> > > On 01-Mar-98 joerg hanke extemporized:
>
> > > That's definitely not Suse or KDE3 specific - I get the same thing on Red
> > > Hat 5.0 running fvwm on MetroX or AccelX.
> >
> > You have gzip compressed fonts which Xvnc can't handle out of the box. A
> > quick fix would be to create a fontserver and adjust vncserver to use the
> > fontserver instead of trying to read the fonts itself.
> >
> > Hugo.
>
> So it is !!
>
> (btw - ofcourse did i adapt the fontpath for my system - Steven ;)
> could be read in README but not a single word of compressed fonts
>
> made it for now by decompressing them fonts under X11/fonts/misc
>

> but,
>  how to set up a - fontserver ???

Make a config file and insert text like:

	client-limit = 10
	clone-self = off
	catalogue = /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled,
		/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled,
		/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled,
		/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1,
		/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo,
		/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc,
		/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi,
		/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi
	default-point-size = 120
	default-resolutions = 100,100,75,75
	use-syslog = off

I named it /etc/X11/xfs.config

Then start the fontserver (xfs) with this ocnfig file. Read the XFS
manpage for more.

Hugo.

	| Hugo van der Kooij     | Hugo.van.der.Kooij "at" caiw.nl   |
	| 3155 VJ  Maasland      | (De man met de rode hoed)    |
		(Mitch Radcliffe)