Can't run apps on virtual server....

Wayne Flagg wflagg "at" garlic.com
Sun, 01 Mar 1998 17:50:42 +0000

I had this symptom - it was caused by a line like

    0.0.0.0	pepper.garlic.com pepper

in my hosts file (pepper is dual home, runs linux masquerading kernel)
and hosts is used before dns. The outside interface is a dynamic addr
(an isdn link to my isp running ppp). I changed the internal address
line in hosts to,

    192.168.1.32	pepper

where that's the address on the inside interface. Then vncserver and
its friends start, all is well. I have now a server on the linux box
and the laptop beside it - each displays the other (using the win
client on the laptop and the java client in a browser on the linux
box).

Someone else asked about how to setup a font server. run

    /usr/local/X11/xfs -config /usr/local/etc/fonts.cfg -port 7100

There's a man page for xfs that explains font config file syntax.
Someone else on this list explained how to edit vnc's server startup
script to use a font server to obviate font decompression.

hope that helps,

wayne