can'1 start

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij "at" caiw.nl
Sun, 01 Mar 1998 09:13:32 +0000

On Sat, 28 Feb 1998, Steven Filling wrote:

> On 01-Mar-98 joerg hanke extemporized:
> > whenever i try to start the vncserver on a Suse 5.0 Distr. with KDE3
> > working perfectly under X11R6.3 i get the followin in ~/.vnc/X.log
> >
> > rfbInitSockets: listening on TCP port 5901
> > httpInitSockets: listening on TCP port 5801
> > failed to set default font path
> > '/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X
> > 11/fonts/75dpi/'
> > Fatal server error:
> > could not open default font 'fixed'
> > _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> > _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
>
> Joerg -
>
> That's definitely not Suse or KDE3 specific - I get the same thing on Red
> Hat 5.0 running fvwm on MetroX or AccelX.

You have gzip compressed fonts which Xvnc can't handle out of the box. A
quick fix would be to create a fontserver and adjust vncserver to use the
fontserver instead of trying to read the fonts itself.

Hugo.

	| Hugo van der Kooij     | Hugo.van.der.Kooij "at" caiw.nl   |
	| 3155 VJ  Maasland      | (De man met de rode hoed)    |
		(Mitch Radcliffe)