VNC on /dev/fb0

Steve Cheng elmert "at" ipoline.com
Thu, 30 Jul 1998 01:45:16 +0000

On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, Mark Spencer wrote:

> I just wanted to suggest doing a port to the linux frame buffer support
> (supported on x86 as of Linux 2.1.109).  I've started looking at it and
> hopefully I can start from the SVGA VNC code and work my way through.  If
> someone has already done this, or is already working on it, or is
> interested in working on it, please let me know.
>
> The advantage of this port would be the ability to run without a supported
> SVGA card (any VESA 2.0 complient board would work).

There is already a GGI VNC client/viewer
<http://www.iaccess.com.br/~fabio/ggivncviewer_v0.tgz>

It uses libGGI, which can run on top of Linux's fbcon already,
transparently, as one of its many display targets.

However, I suspect it hasn't been updated in a while (libGGI changes
and possibly VNC changes from ORL).  I'll look into it.

--
Steve Cheng

email: steve "at" ggi-project.org
www: <http://shell.ipoline.com/~elmert/>