moving apps from one vnc viewer to another

jeff covey jeff.covey "at" pobox.com
Tue, 28 Jul 1998 03:49:35 +0000

    jeff> is it possible to start up multiple copies of the linux
    jeff> vncserver and then move apps between them?

    Charles> there is a program called xmove
    Charles> (ftp.cs.columbia.edu:/pub/xmove) that might work for you

looks very cool, but there's one problem, as seen in the readme:

    readme> Here's the rule of thumb: a visual that has a depth of 12
    readme> or less is incompatible with a visual that has a depth of
    readme> 16 or more. As well, both the StaticGray and the TrueColor
    readme> classes are only compatible with themselves. To move an
    readme> app from "a" to "b", they must both have compatible
    readme> default visuals, and "b" must a visual compatible with
    readme> every visual "a" has used.

so there's no chance of moving from my 16bit display to an 8bit one,
which is why i wanted it in the first place.  :-(

| jeff covey jeff.covey "at" pobox.com http://pobox.com/~jeff.covey/ 410-669-4926 |
|                all that glitters has a high refractive index.              |