moving apps from one vnc viewer to another

Charles Hines chuck_hines "at" VNET.IBM.COM
Mon, 27 Jul 1998 19:58:18 +0000

jeff> is it possible to start up multiple copies of the linux vncserver and
jeff> then move apps between them?

The short answer is no.  Xvnc is just like any other X server, and you
really can't move X apps from one display to another since they store
a lot of info about the display themselves.

But there is a program called xmove (ftp.cs.columbia.edu:/pub/xmove)
that might work for you though.  I've never used it, but supposedly it
creates a pseudoserver for you that allows you to move clients from
server to server, so it could potentially be used to move them to/from
vncservers (and normal X servers for that matter).

Chuck

Charles K. Hines <chuck_hines "at" vnet.ibm.com>
IBM Logic Synthesis Developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis and Balintawak Escrima]

             -- of course, we ARE still in Hell." (Gary Larson)