win95/linux on serial, was VNC works *only* when also connected to internet

jsundqui@buffnet.net jsundqui "at" buffnet.net
Sun, 26 Jul 1998 07:57:28 +0000

On 24 Jul, Avi Norowitz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> If you don't mind me asking, how did you manage to setup a PPP
> connection from the Win95 machine to the Linux machine?

I owe the linux community a mini-HOWTO on this one.  Meanwhile, I'll
copy this to the VNC list since it may be of prime interest here.  It is
a FAQ without an answer.  It took me a long time before I got it
working, and I'll try to get you the basic steps here, but you'll
probably have to play around a bit as well.

The key thing is to get the null modem driver from

http://www.vt.edu:10021/K/kewells/net/scripts.html

I use the "cisco" version, since, as it says, it works with other
hardware.

This will allow using the win95 DUN to "dial out" on a null modem cable
(read the docs at the above site).  The harder part is getting linux to
answer and then have it startup pppd.

Getting it to answer:  this is simply putting a getty on the serial
port to which the null modem cable is attached.

In my /etc/inittab, I have the line:

S0:345:respawn:/sbin/getty ttyS0 38400 vt100

This is for a redhat (sysV init) system, and work for telneting in (no
PPP connection) as well.

Getting linux to start pppd can be done in a number of ways.  I do it
in a kind of weird way, writing a Win95 dialup script that su's to root
(taking the password from the Win95 DUN dialogue box) and starts pppd.
You could also have the shell for the user (you) trying to get a ppp
connection be the pppd script.

However, you do it, you have to have the right combination of pppd's
myriad arguments.  Read the pppd man page if you haven't already.  A guy
who helped me out in the newsgroups used this:

pppd -detach crtscts lock proxyarp 38400 asyncmap 0

An suggested this also:

pppd -detach crtscts lock proxyarp 38400 asyncmap 0 10.0.0.2:10.0.0.1

which is what I use.  Here, I have the IP addresses forced to what I
have in /etc/hosts for these two boxes, namely 10.0.0.1 for the windows
box, and 10.0.0.2 for the linux box.

You may need to add a file to c:\windows directory named lmhosts
containing this:

10.0.0.2	laptop	#PRE

This is window's /etc/hosts file.  If you computer uses this already,
you need to add this to the head of the file, then run `nbtstat -R` to
reread the file.  I think I only needed this to get samba running, but
I forget.

Good luck.

Jon Sundquist