ssh and VNC...

Stephen P. Wilson s.wilson "at" eris.dera.gov.uk
Fri, 24 Jul 1998 14:26:44 +0000

Hi,

Thanks to all who offered help - I've now managed to get vnc running
over shh.

Once I'd worked out how to force vnc to start on a given screen:

% vncserver :1

I managed to get the windows ssh program to forward ports 5801 and 5901
from my client via ssh - then, all I had to do was put 'localhost:1' in
the client window (it didn't seem to work when I actually put
'my_hostname:1') or http://localhost:5801/ into Netscape - and away I
went...

There was a slight drop in performance - but it's still useable.

Steve.

P.S. I'm still trying to work out how I can block people from accessing
the server - if anyone has any ideas...

--
Stephen Wilson. BSc (hons), AMIEE.          S.Wilson "at" eris.dera.gov.uk
The views and statements contained in this message are entirely those