inetd and ssh for VNC???

Fri, 24 Jul 1998 13:50:58 +0000

On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, Stephen P. Wilson wrote:

> 2. I've been trying to get vnc running over ssh (I have F-Secure SSH for
>    windows) - but I'm having some problems - is there any way to force
>    vnc to listen on a user-specified port? - 'cause I'll expect it to
>    start on 5901, and it'll start on 5902 - so I restart ssh, this time
>    set up for port 5902, and it'll start on 5903... etc... - I'd rather
>    only have to start up one ssh session - so I'd like to either know in
>    advance what port it's gonna listen on (not really likely) - or, be

If you start Xvnc directly, rather than using the vncserver script, you
can specify which port it should use.  If I understand correctly, with SSH
you specify which port it should listen on and which port it should send
the unencrypted form of the data to.  So if you listen with SSH on port
5901 then Xvnc will have to run on, say, 5902, and then SSH must be made
to forward incoming connections to 5901 to the Xvnc port at 5902.

I'd suggest running vncserver to get a session running, then looking at
the port number it tells you it's running on and configuring SSH to listen
on some other port and forward connections to the one vncserver is using.

Hope that helps,

James "Wez" Weatherall
Tel : Work - 343000