VNC speed and compression

Diego Sierra dsg "at" ll.iac.es
Fri, 24 Jul 1998 09:31:56 +0000

James [Wez] Weatherall wrote:

> I would tend to agree with this.  If WinVNC is sluggish on a P200 machine
> then this suggests that either WinVNC has been misconfigured or that
> something else in the system is taking up most of the available CPU time

Well, not at all. I have WinVNC configured for just poll both the foreground and
Console windows.

This is the scenario I have:

+---------+  33.6 modem link   +----------+    +----+
| HOME_PC |--------------------| SW 10Mbps|----| PC |
+---------+                    | Ethernet |    +----+
                               +----------+

The HOME_PC is connected to the network via PPP. I run on the PC both a laplink
sever and the VNC server, the first one for exactly the same purpose than VNC:
to has the PC screen at home. What I mean in my first email is that laplink
seems faster than VNC, mainly when it redraws a window, so I'm just asking if
there can be some improve in the (compression) code. (Obviously I prefer VNC :-)

Cheers,
Diego.

--
Diego Manuel Sierra Gonzalez                mail: dsg "at" iac.es
Ing. Telecomunicaciones, Centro de Calculo  Fax#: +34 922 605210