VNC speed and compression

Thu, 23 Jul 1998 14:50:39 +0000

On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, D. Leeuw wrote:

> >I find the VNC server (WinVNC) unusable on a 100MHz Pentium, but just
> >bearable on a 200MHz machine.  In practice I avoid running WinVNC at
> >all.  A month or so ago I swapped the Sun box on my desk for a 100MHz
> >Windows box.
>
> Don't quite agree. As long as it are Windows apps (GUI) it works fine for
> me on Pentium 75 machines. But as soon as I use a DOS box with app, it gets
> slow. Those machines have about 24 Mb RAM and I think it will do on a 10
> Mbps network.

I would tend to agree with this.  If WinVNC is sluggish on a P200 machine
then this suggests that either WinVNC has been misconfigured or that
something else in the system is taking up most of the available CPU time
and leaving too little for WinVNC to use. One obvious possibility is
that the Poll Full Screen option has been enabled by mistake for WinVNC,
which will cause a serious performance hit.

Cheers,

James "Wez" Weatherall
Tel : Work - 343000