Using vnc like winframe

Jon Espenschied jon.espenschied "at" attws.com
Thu, 23 Jul 1998 01:31:01 +0000

At 08:20 AM 7/22/98 -0500, Roger Felts wrote:
>The original respondant was incorrect:  NT * is* multiuser, it's just=20
>that most NT software does not take advantage of this.  Something like=20

>But since WinFrame / TSE are doing much more than just exporting the=20
>display, VNC does not currently match their capabilities.  Not that it=20
>couldn't, just that it doesn't.

I think the question is this:  Can VNC be used to connect to a WTS/hydra
box that is exporting displays to itself?  I.e., if a WTS box thinks is has
three local displays supporting three sessions, can one connect three
remote computers to those sessions via VNC (using *only* VNC for the
"remoting" of the display)? =20

If this is possible, there are two primary types of benefit to explore:=20

(a) Can one use this configuration to create a viable lightweight client?
(Keeping in mind that VNC has even been ported to the Pilot, and it'll be a
frosty day in hell before WTS clients approach that level of portability.)=
=20

(b) Can one legally avoid having to pay the full cost of Microsoft WTS
client seats, if the display export (VNC server) and client (VNC) display
are not Microsoft products?  This approach (which I neither defend nor
criticize) is similar to the legal view that if you use a third-party
TCP/IP stack and server products on NT Workstation, you aren't legally
bound by the NT Workstation UELA limit of 10 inbound connections, nor are
you obligated to buy client seats.  This is based on the premise that
Microsoft has no legal basis to license, charge for, or limit the use of
products they don't own.

Perhaps I've oversimplified, but it seems that the unspoken line of
questioning in this thread basically boils down to "Can VNC give me more
(portability, functionality, seats) for less ($, hassle)?"  I'd venture to
say that a WinVNC server modified for WTS *and* a configuration carefully
crafted around the WTS EULA could offer significant cost savings to those
who choose to use Microsoft WTS.  Anyone have a copy of the WTS beta EULA
handy?

Jon

Jon.Espenschied "at" attws.com=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 o425-828-8633=A0=A0=A0=A0 Technical=
 Information
Senior Systems Architect=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 c206-890-6619=A0=A0=A0 AT&T=
 Wireless Services