vncviewer: read failed

Thu, 16 Jul 1998 17:12:55 +0000

On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Brian S. Craigie wrote:

> On 16-Jul-98 James [Wez] Weatherall wrote:
> > On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Brian S. Craigie wrote:
> >
> >> When the screensaver on my NT box activates, my vncviewer on the Unix box
> >> terminates with the message 'read failed'.  While the screensave is active,
> >> cannot start the vncviewer, hence I can't do ctrl-alt-del to deactivate the
> >> screensaver.  Also I can't use ctrl-alt-del to _activate_ the screensaver
> >> either (nothing happens).
> >
> > Are you running WinVNC as a service or as an application on the Windows NT
> > box?
>
> I assume as an application.  I just installed it and put the shortcut into
> startup as per the instructions at
>
> http://www.cab.u-szeged.hu/local/doc/vnc/winvnc.html
>
> There is no mention of services on that page.

Sounds like you downloaded from an out of date mirror site.  Take a look
at http://www.orl.co.uk/vnc/winvnc.html.  There are brief instructions
there on how to run WinVNC as a service on NT 4, which will eliminate the
screen-saver problem.

> I should have thought that installing it as a service should be the
> default, given the obvious drawback of running it as an application? ;-)

Yes and no.  _Ideally_ it would be the default but since running WinVNC as
a service requires Administrator priveliges on the machine in question,
it's not such a good default.  Being able to run it as an app to test it
before doing a proper service install seems like a good way round to do
things.

> May I suggest the FAQ be updated to reflect this?
>
> Thanks for the help so far.  Can you tell me how to install it as a service
> please?

Certainly.  Log on into an Administrator account and go to the winvnc
install directory.  Type "winvnc -install" and then "net start winvnc".
If all goes well then it should install and start running.

> ( how can I do the ctrl-alt-del from my Unix [solaris 2.6] client?)

You should be able to just do a straight Ctrl-Alt-Del (check whether this
will reboot the solaris client first though!!!) and WinVNC will be able to
pick it up.

Cheers,

James "Wez" Weatherall
Tel : Work - 343000