vncviewer: read failed

Brian S. Craigie Brian.Craigie "at"
Thu, 16 Jul 1998 17:01:56 +0000

On 16-Jul-98 James [Wez] Weatherall wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Brian S. Craigie wrote:
>> When the screensaver on my NT box activates, my vncviewer on the Unix box
>> terminates with the message 'read failed'.  While the screensave is active,
>> cannot start the vncviewer, hence I can't do ctrl-alt-del to deactivate the
>> screensaver.  Also I can't use ctrl-alt-del to _activate_ the screensaver
>> either (nothing happens).
> Are you running WinVNC as a service or as an application on the Windows NT
> box?

I assume as an application.  I just installed it and put the shortcut into
startup as per the instructions at

There is no mention of services on that page.

I should have thought that installing it as a service should be the default,
given the obvious drawback of running it as an application? ;-)

May I suggest the FAQ be updated to reflect this?

Thanks for the help so far.  Can you tell me how to install it as a service

( how can I do the ctrl-alt-del from my Unix [solaris 2.6] client?)

Many thanks!

> Cheers,
> James "Wez" Weatherall

The VNC mailing list     -   see