How do I control-alt-delete from a unix viewer?

Mac Reiter MacReiter "at" bigfoot.com
Thu, 16 Jul 1998 16:18:32 +0000

At 03:42 PM 7/16/98 +0100, James [Wez] Weatherall wrote:
>On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Mac Reiter wrote:
>
>> If you are _root_, pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del executes a "shutdown -r now"
>> without asking, no matter what app is up.
>
>I thought Ctrl-Alt-Backspace did that, not Ctrl-Alt-Del?  Does

[clip]

>Cheers,
>
>James "Wez" Weatherall
>--
>Olivetti & Oracle Research Laboratory, Cambridge, UK.
>Tel : Work - 343000

Ctrl-Alt-Backspace is the XFree86 keyboard hotkey for killing the X server,
which will drop you back to the console, but it won't reboot the machine.
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace will shut the machine down.  It does it nicely (syncs
and all), and if you are fast enough (you've got maybe 5-10 seconds) you
can type the shutdown cancel command...  But I don't know what it is offhand.

Mac