vncviewer: read failed

Brian S. Craigie Brian.Craigie "at" necs.demon.co.uk
Thu, 16 Jul 1998 16:01:53 +0000

Hello.  I've just joined this list and am trying out the VNC software.

First may I say congratulations to the developers for an excellent product.

However, I'm having a problem with the following setup:

Unix Client, NT 4.0 server.

I've searched the archives but although I saw someone ask this same question in
April, the reply [if any] is not there.  I also checked the FAQ.

My question is:

When the screensaver on my NT box activates, my vncviewer on the Unix box
terminates with the message 'read failed'.  While the screensave is active, I
cannot start the vncviewer, hence I can't do ctrl-alt-del to deactivate the
screensaver.  Also I can't use ctrl-alt-del to _activate_ the screensaver
either (nothing happens).

This makes the software practically useless for my purpose, since I want the NT
box to be accessible either directly on the console, or via the VNC software,
yet I need to have a password-protected screensaver on the NT box.

Does anyone have a workaround for this?

Using Unix as the server and NT as the client isn't an option as the Unix box
is on my desk, but the NT box(es) will be in another room.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Brian S. Craigie
Unix Sysadmin