Addition to RFB protocol?

Quentin Stafford-Fraser quentin "at"
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 18:44:24 +0000

Hi Steve,

># In the case of a fast client, the client may want to regulate the rate at
># which it sends incremental FramebufferUpdateRequests to avoid hogging the
># network.

Yes, this may not be very clear, especially when combined with the previous
section.  We put it in because we found that on fast networks, updates might
be sent a couple of hundred times a second, and there was really no need to
send them faster than the human eye could see, so the viewer might not want
to send a request immediately if it has sent one in the last 30msecs or so.

>Speaking of documentation errors, on page 22 of the PDF documentation,
>the structure of the CoRRE encoding, it says that the x, y, width and
>fields of a CoRRE sub-rectangle are of CARD16, but it is actually CARD8.
>The number of bytes taken by each field is shown as 1 though, which is
>correct. :-)

thanks - we'll fix that.

Dr Quentin Stafford-Fraser
The Olivetti & Oracle Research Lab