Addition to RFB protocol?

Matthew Bloch mattbee "at" eh.org
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 09:57:52 +0000

I've looked through the protocol document, and unless I'm deeply
misunderstanding something, there's a bit missing: why isn't there a message
for the client to send to the server to request areas of screen that might
have changed since it last asked?  The server could then return a rectangle,
or number of rectangles, for which the client could ask to be sent the actual
framebuffer data.  This keeps with the idea that it's still a client-driven
protocol, though I think it'd be faster if the server pushed rectangles
incrementally at the client (i.e. the server stops sending 'area changed'
messages if the whole screen changed, and the client still hasn't requested
an update).

comments, flames etc. appreciated,

--
Matthew              ( http://www.soup-kitchen.demon.co.uk/ )