WinVNC shutdown problem

Fri, 10 Jul 1998 14:51:11 +0000

On Fri, 29 May 1998, Eric Raible wrote:

> The basic problem seems to be that the "Close VNC" menu choice does
> _not_ actually cause WinVNC to exit.  After "closing", WinVNC is still
> running, viewers remain connected, and can even disconnect then reconnect.
> (A locally-generated) Ctrl-Alt-Delete reports that WinVNC is still running.
>
> But what has changed is that the tray icon disappears, "WinVNC -about"
> and "WinVNC -settings" both report that "No existing instance of WinVNC
> could be contacted", but trying to restart WinVNC reports that
> "Another instance of WinVNC is already running".

WinVNC uses the tray menu-icon window to contact existing instances of
itself but uses a mutex to discover whether or not another instance
exists.  So the above indicates that the tray icon window has been closed
but that WinVNC didn't quit and so is still holding the mutex.

> It seems that the problem of viewers not shutting down on "Close VNC"
> is simply because WinVNC does not really exit.  When I Ctrl-Alt-Delete
> kill it, then the remote viewers die as expected.

Does it die properly when you use End Task on it?  Or does it complain
that WinVNC isn't responding?

Cheers,

James "Wez" Weatherall
Tel : Work - 343000