vnc + suse 5.2

Norbert Gimm gimm "at" berlin.snafu.de
Thu, 09 Jul 1998 09:45:48 +0000

Hello evryone,

being new to this group let me first introduce myself:

Norbert Gimm /Gimm "at" gerlin.snafu de
Working at Atotech Deutschland (an Elf Aquitaine campany) I am resposible for our SAP Customizing
and user support.

I have just found vnc and installed it right away for some HP-UX / Linux and NT (4.0) around here.
Since I dont have an ANSI C compiler for HPUX I downloaded HP binaries from Miroslav Luptak.
Many thanks for the service!

I am having some problems with the server on HP - I may come back to that later. Let me just start into
this making some remarks on the SuSE Problems.

And please be prepared to read a header like this 2 or 3 times, I will stop this in a few days.

Roland E. Lipovits wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 08, 1998 at 08:53:37PM +0200, Thorsten Wandersmann wrote:
> > i have the following problem starting vnc on linux (suse 5.2):
>
> I'm running the same combination here.
>
> > failed to set default font path
> > '/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/PEX,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/latin2/75dpi'
>
> There are two ways to omit this error:

This one cannot be fixed by just giving additional fonts or a different font path. The problem is that linux fonts are packed and the vnc does not support packed
fonts. I know 3 possible solutions to that:1. in every font directory (at least in misc):
    - unpack the fonts (gunzip *)
    - make new font descriptions (mkfontdir)
2. run a fonts server (xfs) and tell vnc to use it in vncserver:
        (e.g.: $cmd = "Xvnc  -fp tcp/localhost:7000 :$displayNumber";)
3. get a hack for vnc to use packed fonts. I have found a hint suggesting such a hack may exist
    scanning previous mailings from this list. But it points to the faq list and there I did not find it.

> > Number found where operator expected at (eval 38) line 1, near ") 0"
> >         (Missing operator before 0?)
>
> This comes from one of the *.ph files wich are created in
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/i586-linux.

my SuSE linux comes with two copies of the socket.ph:
     bpc69:/opt/vnc332 # find /usr -name socket.ph -print
     /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/i586-linux/sys/socket.ph
     /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/i586-linux/linux/socket.ph

I changed the
     eval 'require "linux/socket.ph"';
     eval 'require "linux/socket.ph"';
in vncserver and got no more error message.

Other than the message the error seems to be harmless. The server runs fine with or without the patch.

Best regards
N. Gimm / gimm "at" berlin.snafu.de