newbie VNC X-server setup problem?

Matthias Nott mnott "at" gwdg.de
Wed, 08 Jul 1998 17:49:46 +0000

At 01:20 09.07.98 +0900, you wrote: <br>
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 </font><font size=3D2>I've asked the question about=
 Winvnc remote
installation.=A0 However, I received an uncertain solution from your staff
members.=A0=A0 I've 400 machines in nationwide.=A0 It requires long travel t=
install the software and which is impossible.=A0 If you noticed, the
software called &quot;Remotely Possible&quot; from Avalan provides
excellent software install to the remote machines.=A0 Since I've used your
system and evaluating the software, please consider to add such function
to your software so that I don't need to travel the world to install
software.=A0 <br>
By the way, this software is excellent.<font size=3D3> <br>
Dear HOJ, <br>
at least, your remote systems will have someone sitting there and working
with<br>
them. So there should be no problem creating an installation script
which<br>
a) copies the necessary files (dll files and winvnc.exe) to the
winnt/win95 directory<br>
b) makes the necessary registry settings and adds a line under
hklm/software.../run for winvnc.exe<br>
I have done this a while ago with installshield; you can create a
self-extracting exe file with<br>
install shield and put that one on your web site or distribute it with
eMail. You can already<br>
configure a password (as you hard-setup the registry settings).<br>
So your remote users just have to run that install program once, and you
are done.<br>
In order to have a way to reboot remotedly the systems, either use one of
that<br>
new versions of winvnc supporting &quot;run as service&quot; --- or
simply configure your<br>
systems as logging in automatically (which of course is a security
problem).<br>
A while ago I have hacked winvnc sources so that it lets you in with a
predefined<br>
password --- it even lets you change the tray icon depending on the
password (or<br>
not display a tray icon at all). See my related post about 2 months
ago.<br>
Cheers<br>
Matthias<br>
mnott "at" gwdg.de<br>