Detecting Loopback correctly

Stephen D. Williams sdw "at" lig.net
Wed, 08 Jul 1998 15:20:35 +0000

James [Wez] Weatherall wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Jul 1998, Stephen D. Williams wrote:
> > I setup SSH to forward remote connections (outside the firewall) to
> > localhost:5800/5900.  The server complains about not allowing
> > connections from loopback.

> WinVNC checks to see whether an incoming connection has the same IP
> address as the machine it is running on and refuses the connection if it
> does.  This is mainly to avoid people accidentally viewing a machine's
> desktop from that machine and getting weird results.
>
> An option has been added to WinVNC to make local connections possible,
> though, in the vnext revision, which will be available soon.

Thanks, this will save me a major learning curve / hacking session today that I
don't have time for! ;-)
Hopefully I'll catch an announcement of the new version on the list (soon I
hope).

Thanks!
sdw

> Cheers,
>
> James "Wez" Weatherall
> --
> Olivetti & Oracle Research Laboratory, Cambridge, UK.
> Tel : Work - 343000

sdw "at" lig.net   Stephen D. Williams   Senior Consultant            http://sdw.st
43392 Wayside Cir.,Ashburn, VA 20147             703-724-0118W 703-995-0407Fax
CTO:Netword LLC                             Web/Crypto/OO/Unix/Comm/Video/DBMS
Pres.:Concinnous Consulting,Inc;SDW Systems;Local Internet Gateway Co.1May1998