Detecting Loopback correctly

Stephen D. Williams sdw "at" lig.net
Tue, 07 Jul 1998 21:26:05 +0000

I just ran into a problem where the VNC server (just downloaded) for Win95
is refusing connections via localhost.  I can understand wanting to prevent
loops, however there must be a better way to do this.

The reason I ran into this is that we have a demo PC (in a conference room
with an active white board and overlay projector) that we'd like to have
usable from anywhere.

I setup SSH to forward remote connections (outside the firewall) to
localhost:5800/5900.  The server complains about not allowing connections
from loopback.

I'm going to try changing it to the specific IP address, but localhost is a
perfectly reasonable and easiest to maintain way to do this.

Thanks
sdw