Pbs with NT 3.51 (newbie)

Tue, 07 Jul 1998 17:12:19 +0000

On Tue, 7 Jul 1998, John SERAPHIN wrote:

> >I think so.  It appears that 3.51 doesn't support the required access
> >priveliges to desktops other than the Default one, which means that the
> >screen saver and logon prompt desktops tend to cause problems.  This is
> >why I haven't spent more time trying to fix the Ctrl-Alt-Del problem on
> >3.51.
>
> Weird.
> I'm running FTP-ServU and Fictional Telnet daemon on that 3.51
> box and have installed them both via srvany as services.
> They work ok even when nobody's logged.

NT services are basically designed to run as part of the system, i.e.
whether or not someone is logged on.  The reason there are problems on
NT 3.51 with the WinVNC service is that it has to be able to access the
display, otherwise it can't make it available remotely but NT 3.51 won't
let it access desktops other than the Default one, so even though it's
there running, it can't do anything.

NT 4 fixes this, though.

James "Wez" Weatherall
Tel : Work - 343000