newbie VNC X-server setup problem?

Aage Rettvin Aage.Rettvin "at" online.no
Tue, 07 Jul 1998 14:06:08 +0000

Thank you for your feedback:

> "xauth: (argv):1 bad display name "Rettvin_aage :1" in add command"
>
> Maybe X doesn't like the space in the display name (the space between
> aage and :1) ???

Correct notation is as you suspected "Rettvin_aage:1" - though the problem
still apply!

> Try to examine and/or edit the file ~/.vnc/xstartup
> I changed the window manager to one I prefer using (fvwm)

I'm using metrolink X-server with designation "fvwm2", which I start with
"startx".  If I try to start by typing "X" the darn thing hangs up just
like when
I try to access remotely using 'VNCviewer' from windows:

Gray panel with the movable X-cursor

My ~/.vnc/xstartup file only contains "/etc/x11/xinitrc &".

As I'm in the process of learning Unix/Linux I'm not yet familiar with
switching between different X-servers. The version I'm using was shipped
with the Redhat 5.0 package I bought some months ago - any further
advice appreciated.

best regards

Aage Rettvin
Norway