newbie VNC X-server setup problem?

Erling Jacobsen context "at" post3.tele.dk
Tue, 07 Jul 1998 10:31:26 +0000

Aage Rettvin wrote:
>  Problem:  Starting 'vcnserver' in unix with my user name 'Rettvin_aage'
>  gives following msg.
>
>  "xauth: (argv):1 bad display name "Rettvin_aage :1" in add command"

Maybe X doesn't like the space in the display name (the space between
aage and :1) ???

>  When trying to access the vncserver over TCP/IP from the Windows-VNCViewer
>  client, all I see after login is a gray blank screen with the X-cross. No
>  other response is observed.

Try to examine and/or edit the file ~/.vnc/xstartup
I changed the window manager to one I prefer using (fvwm)

Erling Jacobsen, erlingj "at" dk-online.dk