Another wish... resource selection

Eric Kidd eric.kidd "at" pobox.com
Mon, 06 Jul 1998 23:29:10 +0000

At 2:57 PM -0400 7/6/98, Quentin Stafford-Fraser wrote:
>Yes, we've thought about the vnc: thing, and we like the idea.  However, I
>imagine this is just a convention thing at the moment?  If enough people
>started using it, then it might be adopted as a standard - or is there an
>official way?

The IETF generally handles things like this. If someone writes a reasonable
RFC (for a real program), they're usually happy to publish it. On many
platforms, it is possible to tell your web browser (and other utilities)
that all URLs with a given schema should be opened in a particular program.

The normal forms for URLs are:

  schema://host/specifier
  schema://user@host/specifier
  schema://user:pass@host/specifier

The host may also be of the form "host:port" if the server runs on a
non-standard TCP/IP port.

Cheers,
Eric