Another wish... resource selection

Quentin Stafford-Fraser quentin "at" orl.co.uk
Mon, 06 Jul 1998 20:10:50 +0000

Hi James,

>A problem I have is that to select a vnc desktop you use the following
"URL"
>in the client ip.address:X where X is an integer value.
>
>What I really need is a full blooded URL like
>
>[connects with display o on server.com.au]
>vnc://server.com.au/0
>[connects with jims desktop]
>vnc://server.com.au/users/jim

Yes, we've thought about the vnc: thing, and we like the idea.  However, I
imagine this is just a convention thing at the moment?  If enough people
started using it, then it might be adopted as a standard - or is there an
official way?

Either way, it doesn't mean much until somebody writes a plugin, because
nothing would understand it.  Perhaps more useful at present would be a
'.vnc' file extension format, which could be associated with an
application/vnc MIME type, and which would contain the basic connection info
and so could be given to the viewer as an argument.  A web server or VNC
server could produce a .vnc file in response to a request for something like
http://vnc.myplace.com/users/qsf , and you would just associate the MIME
type with the VNC viewer in your browser's configuration.

Within ORL we do something similar using the CORBA backend - we generally
refer to desktops by name rather than number - but a URL style would be a
more portable solution for the world in general; we'll think about it.

>Whats the ETA for 3.4 or 4.0? :)

Well, we might release a Service Pack or two for the current release, while
we decide whether to call it VNC99 or not :-)

Regards,
Quentin
----
Dr Quentin Stafford-Fraser