keyboard problems

Nick Goldman N.Goldman "at" gen.cam.ac.uk
Fri, 03 Jul 1998 11:33:47 +0000

I'm new to this software and this list, so please be patient with me.

I am trying to get going with VNC.  I have vncserver apparently running
OK on DEC OSF (V3.2 17), and am trying to 'talk to' it from a laptop
running Win NT 4.0 SP3.  When I run VNC viewer under NT4, it starts off
OK and gives me an X desktop with a terminal window in, but I can't do
anything useful with this because the keyboard is entirely weird.

Not just the stuff I've read a little about, different shift keys doing
funny things or shift, ctrl, etc., 'sticking', I tried those, it is just
utterly weird:

typing:  a  gives:  a
         s          c
         d          2
         f          <nothing>
         g          '
         h          '
         j          x
         k          x
         l          D
         ;          <nothing>
         '          7
         #          <space>
         <ret>      5

The laptop has a UK keyboard (I guess --- it has a poiunds sterling
sign).

If anyone can help me, I'd be very grateful.

  Nick Goldman