WinVNC Server/ Java applets

Wed, 01 Jul 1998 11:51:06 +0000

On Wed, 1 Jul 1998, Wayne wrote:

> Currently the SCO OpenServer system runs the server, with any Java
> capable browser contecting to it with no fuss.
>
> Everything from the login prmpts to even the displaying of the data is
> handled by java and cgi based scripts but more Java.  For example
> Xdt.class is the X protocol in a java applet.
>
> Otherwise it really does not matter which act as the host and which acts
> as the client.  There is suppose to be a version for NT soon.

The reason I ask is that comparing SCO Tarantella serving X to Java to a
Windows box serving VNC to Java is a little unfair - VNC is a general
display remoting system rather than a graphics RPC system and also WinVNC
has to do a lot of work to get hold of screen changes on the Windows side,
whereas the SCO or Xvnc servers are both special X servers which produce
the required output directly.

James "Wez" Weatherall
Tel : Work - 343000