How to use WinVNC for a single application-server ?

Wed, 01 Jul 1998 11:01:10 +0000

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998 gael.mace "at" wago.de wrote:

>      Dear all,
>
>      I readed in the Project page, that someone has already (??) included
>      the VNCServer in a CD player application that can be controlled by
>      anyone in the room.

The program in question was actually written as the first dedicated VNC
application, rather than being the standard Windows CD player remoted
using WinVNC.

>      Is anyone who can tell me how to do that (APIs, example of source
>      code) ? I am currently studied this solution in order to share a
> light
>      video player between several people without giving access on my NT
> 4.0
>      server.

If it's your own video-player, writing a VNC GUI for it is one
possibility.  If it's a bought-in one then at present, I'm afraid current
versions of WinVNC won't remote single apps.  However, by modifying the
WinVNC code, it _is_ possible to remote single windows but doing this
properly is quite tricky.  (You have to get things like mouse events right
and cope with the window being resized or minimized or closed, etc.)

Cheers,

James "Wez" Weatherall
Tel : Work - 343000