problems with java viewer NT 4.0

Wed, 01 Jul 1998 10:54:21 +0000

On Wed, 24 Jun 1998 Guido_Vetere "at" tivoli.com wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm trying to start Vnc java viewer on Win NT 4.0 (client & server), but
> both the applet and the application block in the autentication dialog.
> As for applets concerns, Explorer 4.0 and Netscape Communicator show the
> same behaviour. The application was build with Symantec VisualCafe PDE 2.5
> (jdk 1.1).
> Debugging the app, it seems that it blocks reading the first message.
> Note however that the VNC viewer works fine with the same server.
> Any hint ?

Most Java applet viewers only allow applets to make outgoing socket
connections to servers on the machine from which they were loaded.  This
might cause your problem.  I've also seen HTTP-only firewalls cause such
problems, simply by blocking any access via VNC ports to servers.

Cheers,

James "Wez" Weatherall
Tel : Work - 343000