DHCP woes

James R Grinter jrg "at" blodwen.demon.co.uk
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 18:11:00 +0000

I've noticed something else nasty when using DHCP to assign addresses
to Windows 95 systems - the TCP stack will drop all connections that
are currently active and using the assigned address when the lease
period ends (even if it is reassigned the same IP address again).

I was rather puzzled as to why my VNC connection kept dropping every
15 minutes until I spotted it coinciding with the DHCP request. Those
of you using unix-based DHCP servers based around the old bootpd code
might want to use large values for 'dl' (the lease time, in seconds).

James.