DHCP woes

Scott Dudley scottd "at" goodnet.com
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 01:18:09 +0000

Jonathan Marsden wrote:

> On 30 Dec 1998, Scott Dudley writes:
>
> > I haven't tested the following with the Win-based vnc but I think it
> > should work.  At work, I've setup a DHCP server supplying IP's to
> > approximately 150 clients.  On the same Linux box I have running
> > Samba's WINS server (nmbd).  I have the ISC DHCP server hand this
> > WINS address to the clients.  They are then able to reslove names
> > via WINS (netbios name resolution) much like DNS.  They can ping,
> > telnet, ftp, etc as long as the machine to which they're connecting
> > is known to the WINS server.
>
> True, but Linux VNC client machines, and any remote Microsoft-OS VNC
> viewer machines not using that WINS server, will be unable to find the
> VNC servers that way.  So this is a very partial solution.  Some of us
> have remote computing needs that are more diverse and more remote that
> that.  Good when it is all you need (all VNC clients are Microsoft OS
> based and use the same WINS server).

If the remote machines are PPP dial-up accessing your network, then it
still works.  I have my Linux PPP modem pool hand out the wins server
address to the Windows client as DHCP does by adding "ms-wins x.x.x.x" to
/etc/ppp/options.   Forgive me if I've totally misunderstood your
scenario.  As my wife often points out, I do so frequently...

> The more general solution requires that the DHCP server that issues
> the IP address for a VNC server machine also comunicates with the DNS
> server for that server machine too.  While Linux runs the latest ISC
> BIND 8.x code that can handle Dynamic DNS, the current Linux DHCP
> server code does not (yet) communicate with the DNS server in this
> fashion.  I believe that is being worked on.

Yes.  If you check ISC's webpage, they mention that Ted Mellon is working
on the dynamic DNS feature.  I've been anxiously awaiting this for over a
year now.

> NT boxes acting as DNS server and DHCP server *will* do the
> appropriate thing in this regard.  As a result, for now we are
> currently forced to use an NT box for our internal DNS server and DHCP
> server here, rather than a Linux box.

Cringe... Yes, I've used the MS WINS/DNS combination but only if I have
to.  I'm as anti-MS as they come.  If I can find a way to do it with Linux,
by golly that's the direction I take.

> Jonathan
> --
> Jonathan Marsden   | Internet: jonathan "at" xc.org  | Making electronic
> 1849 N. Wabash Ave.| Phone: +1 (909) 794 1151   | communications work
> Redlands, CA 92374 | FAX:   +1 (909) 794 3016   | reliably for Christian
> USA                | http://www.xc.org/jonathan | missions worldwide

Regards,

Scott Dudley