DHCP woes

Davis Ray Sickmon, Jr midryder "at" intcon.net
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 21:59:00 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew Gabeler-Lee <msg2 "at" po.cwru.edu>
To: vnc-list "at" orl.co.uk <vnc-list "at" orl.co.uk>
Date: Wednesday, December 30, 1998 3:30 PM
Subject: Re: DHCP woes

>Their is a much easier solution that is completely independent of the
method of
>assigning IP addresses, provided that the two machines are on the same
network
>(IE each computer could see the other one somewhere in the network
>neighborhoot).  Windows 95, 98, and NT all do this great thing where a
>computer's name (it's workgroup/domain is irrelevant) will resolve to it's
IP
>address, provided it has one.  So if you named one machine MyWin95Box and
the
>otherr MyWin98Box, you could just type MyWin98Box into the
server-to-connect-to
>box on the win95 machine, and it would work.
>I have no idea how much windoze experience you have, so I'll include this
tidbit
>incase you didn't know: To change the name of the computer, open up the
>Networking control panel, and then look in the tab labeled Identity.

That's great when you are on the same server on the same network ;-)  The
machine I mentioned was my home machine - and a lot of times, customer
machines.  None of these are on my NT network I have here at the office.  I
adopted this as the 'standard' way of doing it anymore, so I don't have to
worry about what network I'm connecting to, just who's UIN I need to look at
to get the right IP :-)  A good number of times, my customers are set up so
they are dialing into an ISP, so, that doesn't work to well.   However, in
the case the person mentioned originally, I should be kicking myself for not
mentioning doing that...  I guess I've gotten to set in my way of doing it
;-)

>"Davis Ray Sickmon, Jr" wrote:

Midnight Ryder (midryder "at" intcon.net)
Aka Davis Ray Sickmon, Jr - Ambassador for Alliance OS development project
(www.allos.org) - member ICOA - President, Magi Technologies - And a few
more things just so I don't get bored ;-)
http://www.intcon.net/~midryder/