DHCP woes

Matthew Gabeler-Lee msg2 "at" po.cwru.edu
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 21:47:59 +0000

Their is a much easier solution that is completely independent of the method of
assigning IP addresses, provided that the two machines are on the same network
(IE each computer could see the other one somewhere in the network
neighborhoot).  Windows 95, 98, and NT all do this great thing where a
computer's name (it's workgroup/domain is irrelevant) will resolve to it's IP
address, provided it has one.  So if you named one machine MyWin95Box and the
otherr MyWin98Box, you could just type MyWin98Box into the server-to-connect-to
box on the win95 machine, and it would work.
I have no idea how much windoze experience you have, so I'll include this tidbit
incase you didn't know: To change the name of the computer, open up the
Networking control panel, and then look in the tab labeled Identity.