DHCP woes

Davis Ray Sickmon, Jr midryder "at" intcon.net
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 21:15:40 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Baggett <mbaggett "at" mail.mcg.edu>
To: VNC List Server <vnc-list "at" orl.co.uk>
Date: Wednesday, December 30, 1998 2:47 PM
Subject: DHCP woes

>I am a brand new user and I just installed VNC on a Win98 machine and a
>Win95 machine.  Do I have to use the IP address to connect to the server?
>The reason this is an issue for us is that we are starting to use a DHCP
>server which dynamically assigns IP addresses and we were hoping to use a
>machine name which would remain constant.  (I hope this isn't a stupid
>question!)
>
>Mike Baggett (mbaggett "at" mail.mcg.edu)

You have to use either an IP address or the machine name (IE,
computer1.thisnetwork.com)

I have a little trick I use for this - I use my machine at home remotely
from time to time, so I loaded ICQ on it, and ICQ on the machine that I want
to get to my home machine from.  Then, whenever I need to connnect, I use
ICQ to get the user info from the remote computer, and type in the IP into
VNC to logon!  Works great in situations where you have dynamic IP's!

Midnight Ryder (midryder "at" intcon.net)
Aka Davis Ray Sickmon, Jr - Ambassador for Alliance OS development project
(www.allos.org) - member ICOA - President, Magi Technologies - And a few
more things just so I don't get bored ;-)
http://www.intcon.net/~midryder/