_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111

Christy Pearsall crisp "at" halcyon.com
Sat, 26 Dec 1998 19:00:16 +0000

I have been unsuccessful in rinning the Linux Vncserver on Redhat 5.1.
X is installed and the window manager fvwm2 has no problems. =20

When I run the vncserver script it processes information and assigns a
window name and pid number, starts x, starts fvwm2 then errors out and
everything shuts down.

The following is a portion of the error log from unsuccessfull runs.

Begin snipped log:
_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno =3D 111
_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno =3D 111
_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno =3D 111
_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno =3D 111
_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno =3D 111
_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno =3D 111
xrdb: Connection refused
xrdb: Can't open display 'sleepy.pearsall.com:1'
_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno =3D 111
snipped repeated 6 times

xsetroot:  unable to open display 'sleepy.pearsall.com:1'
_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno =3D 111
----snipped repeated 12 times

Warning: This program is an suid-root program or is being run by the
root user.
The full text of the error or warning message cannot be safely
formatted
in this environment. You may get a more descriptive message by running
the
program as a non-root user or by removing the suid bit on the
executable.
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: %s
[FVWM][main]: <<ERROR>> can't open display sleepy.pearsall.com:1

 ----end log segment

I suspect, because of the socket connect errors the problems may be in
assigning the sockets in the script.  Following is a segment of the
vncserver script where I suspect the problem resides.

-----segement of vncserver
-----Major Snip
    #
    # Find socket constants. 'use Socket' is a perl5-ism, so we wrap
it in an
    # eval, and if it fails we try 'require "sys/socket.ph"'.  If this
fails,
    # we just guess at the values.  If you find perl moaning here,
just
    # hard-code the values of AF_INET and SOCK_STREAM.  You can find
these out
    # for your platform by looking in /usr/include/sys/socket.h and
related
    # files.
    #

    chop($os =3D `uname`);
    chop($osrev =3D `uname -r`);

# comment out and set per above instructions

   eval 'use Socket';

    if ($@) {
	eval 'require "sys/socket.ph"';
	if ($@) {
	    if (($os eq "SunOS") && ($osrev !~ /^4/)) {
		$AF_INET =3D 2;
		$SOCK_STREAM =3D 2;
	    } else {
		$AF_INET =3D 2;
		$SOCK_STREAM =3D 1;
	    }
	} else {
	    $AF_INET =3D &AF_INET;
	    $SOCK_STREAM =3D &SOCK_STREAM;
	}
    } else {
	$AF_INET =3D &AF_INET;
	$SOCK_STREAM =3D &SOCK_STREAM;
    }

#set constants, added per above instructions values from
"/usr/include/sys/socket.h "
$AF_INET =3D 2;
$SOCK_STREAM =3D 1;
}

End segment

I set the variable to the numbers and I didn't.  Did't seem to make a
difference.  I set the "eval" statement at the beginning to use,
deleted the eval per a suggestion found in the list archives.  No
difference.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Chis